Columbia College Evening Campus celebrates 35 years

Campus to hold anniversary celebration Nov. 2 and 3 from 4:30-8 p.m.

Columbia College's Evening Campus, founded in 1975, will hold an anniversary celebration from 4:30-8 p.m. on Tuesday Nov. 2 and again on Wednesday Nov. 3 in the Atkins Holman Student Commons on the Columbia College main campus in Columbia, Mo. All faculty, staff, students and alumni are invited.

The anniversary will be followed by Non-Traditional Student Recognition Week, a national weeklong celebration of nontraditional students held Nov. 7-13.

"The Evening Campus at Columbia College is without a doubt the area's most comprehensive evening program for adults, "said Gerald Brouder, president."Columbia College offers more majors and more classes for evening students than any other college or university in the area, and we do it superbly."
Evening campus building
Patti Skinner, director of the Evening Campus, added, "I think one of the reasons the Evening Campus has been so successful is that we have built a team of experienced faculty members, who have advanced degrees in the field they teach. Our students are getting real-world experience at an affordable price and at a time convenient to them."

The Evening Campus also stands out with 25 degree programs, including teacher education, nursing, business administration, psychology, computer science and criminal justice.

More than 125 classes are offered during each eight-week session, and more than 1,100 students attend each session. The Evening Campus offers start-and-stop degree program flexibility to better enable busy working adults to pursue the higher education they desire to advance in their careers.

The Evening Campus has been a means toward a long-awaited college degree for hundreds of graduates. John Dupuy, co-founder of Socket Telecom and Internet Service is one such graduate. Socket is mid-Missouri's premier internet provider and is becoming a premier traditional landline telephone service provider. Dupuy is a 1994 Evening Campus graduate with a bachelor's degree in information systems.
Evening campusstaff
Before he completed a degree, Dupuy was lured away from the University of Missouri by a full-time programming job ("In my field, experience trumps education!"). He said that he then realized that, even with a good job and good pay, he still wanted a college degree.

"So I looked around, and I picked Columbia College,” said Dupuy. “One of its strengths for me was its flexibility: You could take a couple of sessions in a row, take a session off, and return…. You may take two subjects at a time in eight-week sessions, and it makes your education short and intense. Fun, but intense.”

"As an employer," Dupuy added, "I have to say that I do look for a degree in an applicant. A degree tells me that this person has the discipline and the integrity to get through a program. In my field, a degree means you have what it takes to learn the details; you may not have exactly the software skills I'm looking for, but I know you can learn them."

Evening Campus instructor Dr. Lisa Isaacson said the difference between Columbia College and other institutions is that Columbia College is a teaching college and others are research colleges. "This is a crucial difference," she said. "We are here to teach."