Columbia College: best in the Midwest

Best in the Midwest

College ranking services once again name Columbia College an elite school.

Columbia College is pleased to report that the school has again been chosen as a 2011 Princeton Review "Best in the Midwest" college, a U.S. News & World Report Best Regional University and one of the nation's top military-friendly school by G.I. Jobs.

The review profiles 623 schools as "regional bests" across four locales: the Northeast, the Southeast, the Midwest and the West. Columbia College was selected primarily for its excellent academic programs, the service said.

The service also says it took into account what students attending the schools reported about their campus experiences.

"Academics are strong," says the Princeton Review website "grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and offered in a learning environment characterized by civility and respect. Students feel at home on the beautiful campus, located in Columbia, Mo., thanks to the private college's close-knit community where opportunities to get involved are plentiful."

"Columbia College opens doors for its students to experience new discoveries, relationships and areas of knowledge that can be explored through thought-provoking, honest dialogue — both in and out of the classroom."

One student is quoted as saying, "The college being a liberal arts school... we have a lot of different kinds of students here. We have quite a few Korean and African students. We even have a guy who never wears shoes. Everybody fits in somewhere."

Another student, self-described as disabled and 45 years old, says, “I have made dozens of friends and have a few close relationships. All I have ever seen is acceptance at this school, and it is quite nice.”

U.S. News & World Report has ranked Columbia College No. 40 in the best regional university category. This is an improvement over last year's ranking, when the college was ranked No. 44 in the category.

Columbia College also ranked No. 3 in the Midwest regional universities for least debt load, a new category. Data is from 2009.

Military-friendliness

Columbia College has also been recognized as a military-friendly school by G.I. Jobs, a publication that provides education, transition assistance and job opportunities for military servicemembers. The magazine selected Columbia College due to the college's steadfast commitment to educating military and student veterans.

The magazine evaluated institutions on such things as being a VA-approved institution for the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon benefits, military and veteran enrollments, generous transfer credit policies, flexible learning programs and tuition benefits.

Carlo said...

I've been a student since 2002 while serving in the Navy and the experience from dealing with the staff to the instructors has been nothing short of outstanding. I still continue to attend Columbia College as a Veteran and will continue until the day I graduate and receive my degree.

Juan

Jeremy and Elizabeth said...

I have been a student since 2008 and the online environment is top-notch! I will be completing my BA at the beginning of October and have enjoyed this school so much, I have decided to finish graduate school here too. This college is focused on helping students on and off campus, which makes it nice for those looking to finish their education with a busy schedule. I am very happy I found my way to Columbia College.

Jeremy and Elizabeth said...

I have been a student at Columbia College since 2008 and the online environment is top-notch! I will be completing my BA at the beginning of October and have enjoyed this school so much, I have decided to finish graduate school here too. This college is focused on helping students on and off campus, which makes it nice for those looking to finish their education with a busy schedule. I am very happy I found my way to Columbia College.

Dena said...

I am proud to say I am getting my degree at Columbia College. I love my nationwide campus and online campus. Everyone is helpful and the professors mix their own experience into their teaching. It is the right fit for me.